Home > North meets South > Inuit Recollections on the Military Presence in Iqaluit > The Inuit village: “Old Iqaluit”

Caribou in the Koroc River Valley, Torngat Mountains.

On the shore of Ungava Bay south of Killiniq.

The Inuit village: “Old Iqaluit”

Inuapik Saagiaqtuq

"That is how we eventually started living here, because my father was asked to work. We stayed here in 1944. I think that is when we first wintered here, either then or in 1942. There were very few people here with us. Then people started coming from the surrounding area. When people started coming here the population grew bigger and bigger. There are more people here now, who are not from here, than original inhabitants."
In Chapter Eight, the Elders describe the Inuit village, its inhabitants and the reasons why they moved to the region. Inuapik Saagiaqtuq remembers arriving in Iqaluit. Very few Inuit lived there, then. She says that nowadays there are fewer than 100 of the first inhabitants left. She also tells us about her memories of Nakasuk and the life of the first workers. Pallu Nowdlak, Martha Michael and Martha Kilabuk tell us about building the first houses using wood crates given by the Americans. Akisu Joamie also tells us about building the houses, and the heating systems in those houses that got very cold when the stove went out, which Jayko Pitseolak confirms. Martha Michael talks about the first buildings built by the Americans and about the old days when everyone seemed happy. Josie Itiitiq talks about her family and moving to Iqaluit. She recalls the houses and the buildings. She and Uqi Kunuk recall the goods that were sold at the base very cheap. Tomassie Naglingniq emotionally brings up the death of Nakasuk. Naqi Ekho tells us about moving to Iqaluit to join her in-laws. She also talks about her experiences with the Americans—there were not many of them back then; that was when Apex was founded. Oolooriaq Ineak talks about the first Iqalummiut and the first buildings. Ooleepeeka Nooshoota tells us about her family and the first dwellings. Peter Atsitaq tells us about arriving in Iqaluit and the things that made him settle there; especially the regular mail service. Jimmy Nooshoota talks about his father’s big house, where Mass was held before the church was built; Martha Tikivik recalls it, too. Ooleepeeka and he talk about the lay priests and missionaries of the day and Oolooriaq Ineak recalls what they taught. Jimmy Nooshoota points out the slight differences between the way of life of the Kimmirummiut and the Iqalummiut. Mittuk Nowdluk describes the types of jobs held by the Inuit at the time, and recollects water being delivered by truck.